Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

This book is about a kid named Charlie who is a freshman and he is a loner until he makes friends with a bunch of seniors. He learns life lessons. He also likes to read old books that his teacher gives to him and write essays about them.
I really liked it. The story was told in a diary format, which I don't usually like very much, but in this case it worked really well because the main character had a distinctive voice, which really added to his character. His personality seemed really developed, but some of the other's didn't. There were a lot of characters that had almost no dialogue and were just mentioned in passing, so it was a little hard to keep track of them. The story, rather than being a plot that the entire book was based around, was more of just an account of the events of a school year, and while there was a problem and it was resolved by the end, the book's structure was unusual. I really liked this book.  It has some mature content, but it would be fine for anyone in our class. I would recommend it.

14 comments:

JP said...

Your description sounds like a really good one. I like how you told us that it is written in diaries (which I usually hate but u said it still works. Maybe I will give it a shot.

david244873 said...

I saw the movie based on this book - have you seen it? if so, how does it compare?

Unknown said...

I think it sounds like a good book and a different genre from what I usually read. Thank you for the recommendation.

Unknown said...

Cool! I think i'd like this!

Unknown said...

I have always wanted to read this book, how long is it?

Unknown said...

This sounds really interesting and cool

Lydia Donato said...

I really liked this book, and it sounds like you did too. You should watch the movie. the movie is really good too.

Lydia Donato said...

I really liked this book, and it sounds like you did too. You should watch the movie. the movie is really good too.

Lydia Donato said...

I really liked this book, and it sounds like you did too. You should watch the movie. the movie is really good too.

Lydia Donato said...

I really liked this book, and it sounds like you did too. You should watch the movie. the movie is really good too.

Lydia Donato said...

I really liked this book, and it sounds like you did too. You should watch the movie. the movie is really good too.

Unknown said...

I really want to read that book. It sounds like it has a really interesting perspective and writing style.

Julia M said...

I bought that on my kindle, but havent read it yet. Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to read it soon

collar bomes said...

I really want to read this book but I keep forgetting about it! Thanks for the reminder that i should read it. How long is it?