Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper

This week I read a book (see title of post). It is about a girl with cerebral palsy who is actually really smart and wants to speak and go to classes that are at her academic level. She deals with people who are stupid. Things happen.
I usually try to stay away from books involving diseases or disabilities because I find them incredibly cliche, and when people find out that you're reading something thought-provoking they want to have these deep, miserably uncomfortable conversations with you. I have no idea why I chose this. The writing style was okay, but that wasn't my main problem with it. The plot was very confusing. The author was trying to tell the reader that this girl is intelligent, but she tried way to hard and the book ended up redundant. I thought the main plot was going to be how she got this computer to help her speak, but that was only part of it. There was an entirely different plot. This was perhaps the most annoying thing about this book: I googled the author, and she was 57 when this was published, and it's told from the perspective of an 11 year old. She used incredibly dated slang and phrases and altogether tried way too hard to sound "young and hip" as my mother would say. At least she did a pretty good job of giving the reader a picture of the challenges of living with CP and parts of it definitely were thought-provoking. I think that this is more of my opinion, so I would recommend it if you want to form your own.

No comments: