Sunday, December 8, 2013

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

This week I read Thirteen Reasons Why. It is about this kid who gets tapes in the mail from Hannah Baker, this girl who killed herself, and each tape has stories about people that were part of the reason why she died. He also gets this map of places where she recommends he go as he listens to the tapes, and when he's done he is supposed to pass them on. It is only 336 pages, and the way it's written makes it an easy read, but the content matter is hard.
There were parts of this book that I really did like and parts that I didn't. Hannah had a really clear voice and she was a likable character even though she died before the book took place. The author did a good job of personifying a teenage girl, which surprised me.The main character, Clay Jensen, was really boring. He didn't really do anything except for listen to the tapes and sob. A little more character development would have been nice. My other problem was that each story was really similar to the other ones, and I think towards the end the author was having a hard time coming up with more stories. The main reason I kept reading was to find out why the boring main character was on the tapes, but once I found out towards the middle, the rest of the book was a lot less interesting. I would recommend this book to pretty much anybody (especially if you don't pick a book until Thursday).

5 comments:

JP said...

It sounds like a really good book and is already on my list. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I agree with this description entirely, I read this book at some point last school year and it was pretty good.

Unknown said...

cool

Unknown said...

Kinda Want To Read It!

Unknown said...

i loved this book i am glad u liked it too