Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Few of my Favorite Books

Hello. My name is Etti and I'm an 8th grader this year. My favorite kinds of books are dystopian fiction and I usually don't like fantasy-type stuff. I love things that are weird and a little disturbing, like the tapeworms that I've had since 3rd grade (don't worry, they're dead and in jars). Well, that's pretty much my entire personality in a nutshell.

Some of my favorite books:

1. Zombies: Encounters with the Hungry Dead edited by John Skipp
I'm not sure if this counts as a real book, but I read it over the summer and it was amazing. The book is 700 pages of zombie stories, some of them written by famous authors like Stephen King and Ray Bradbury and many of them aren't typical zombies.

2. The Hot Zone by Richard Preston
This is a non-fiction book about the discovery and research of Ebola virus. If you're bothered by blood, don't read it. There's quite a bit of gore in the first chapter, but it was really interesting and informative.

3. Divergent by Veronica Roth
Like The Hunger Games, but a little less predictable. Divergent is thought-provoking and original with really good character development. For me, it was a really fast read. I couldn't put it down.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Etti,
Nice job with your blog layout and introduction. Hot Zone is an intense book and I guess I should not be surprised it's one of your favorites. I also loved Divergent and read it in two days (nights actually) this summer. Looking forward to Book 3 in the series next month. The Zombies book sounds like a fun collection of stories. I'll have to add it to my TBR list.

Lydia Donato said...

i am going to read divergent sometime soon, as soon as i finish the lumatere chronicles (which are awesome).

Unknown said...

I read and loved Divergent as well. Hot Zone sounds like a book I should read

Unknown said...

The way you explain divergent sounds good. It sounds like an interesting book! Also I like how you set up you blog!

Anonymous said...

Etti,
I love me a good non-fiction book; The Hot Zone is going on my "to be read" list. You might like books by Mary Roach. She writes some weird books. Also, you might like The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

-K

Elliott said...

These are good descriptions of the books. I also like how your blog is set up.

Rix said...

Zombies are always entertaining. Was that the book with the zombie grandpa? As for The Hot Zone, I'd probably just read the gory first chapter.

Unknown said...

I used the same template, but anyways the Zombie book sounds interesting. Is it like a collection of zombie fairy tales? I liked Divergent and the Hunger Games as well.

Unknown said...

I liked divergent (except for the end which was bad) and I think I read hot zone for my unit