Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass

This week I read A Mango- Shaped Space by Wendy Mass. This book is about a girl who has synesthesia, a blending of the senses that makes her associate colors with numbers, words and sounds. It causes her trouble with schoolwork, and she has a hard time diagnosing it. This is realistic fiction, and it was a really fast and easy read. I would recommend it for pretty much anybody, but 6-8 grades would probably relate to it most.
Overall, I liked it. The plot was good and very clear, and the writing style was descriptive. The characters all had personality and a good level of development and balance. I did have a few problems with it, though. First of all, I think that the story would have been better off if the author hadn't disclosed (spoiler) that Mango dies. It was confusing to me that she gave that away just by looking at the cover. My biggest problem with this book was the portrayal of Mia, the protagonist's, condition. I also have synesthesia, and it surprised me that it was so much of a problem for her, to the point of having to see a neurologist. I've never thought of it as a disability. I realize that the author is not a synesthete, so I'll let it go. A Mango- Shaped Space was pretty good, and is worth reading.

TBR:

See You at Harry's
Shooting the Moon
The Naming
Unremembered
The Green Glass Sea
The Book Thief
The Mortal Instruments
Eragon etc.

Next Week:

The Book Thief or See You at Harry's

8 comments:

Unknown said...

The Mango Shaped Space sounds like a very interesting book. Mya is the main character right? Your paragraph is a lot longer and much more descriptive than mine, and your font choice is great! what is it called?
PS. I loved the Mortal Instruments and Eragon.

Unknown said...

I read A Mango Shaped Space and I really liked it!

Rix said...

Sounds interesting... Synesthesia really actually is kind of cool, but in the extreme, I imagine it's insane.
I might read See You at Harry's soon; please tell me how it is.

Unknown said...

I really want to read A Mango Shaped Space now. Lots of people have read it and loved it. Thanks!

JP said...

Sounds like a good book. Just added it to my TBR.

Unknown said...

good book, nice layout for your blog

Lydia Donato said...

I have not read that book. i am not that big of a fan of fiction in styles like that, but perhaps i will read it.

Briahn Witkoff said...

That sounds like a great book. thanks for the suggestion, its going on my TBRL!!!