Friday, September 13, 2013

Flygirl by Sherri Smith

This week I read Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith. This book is historical fiction, 275 pages and a pretty easy read. It's about Ida Mae Jones, a black girl who lives in Louisiana during World War II. She wants to join a group of military pilots called Women Air force Service Pilots (WASP), so she uses her pale skin to pass for white.
I really liked it. The writing style was good, and the dialogue was written in a way that showed the characters ways of speaking. It gave me a good idea of what the time period was like, and I learned a lot about women's role in WWII. The characters were all well developed and had multidimensional personalities. My only complaint was the ending. It didn't really seem to make a point or go anywhere. This book is still worth reading, and I would recommend it to pretty much anybody.

Next Book: It could be pretty much anything on my list. Depends on availability.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Flygirl sounds like a good book that I will keep in mind to read!

JP said...

That sounds like a really good book. Really fascinating topics about racial times and how people got there way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read that many war books, so I will try to read it, thanks for the suggestion!

Nate said...

At first this book didn't sound very appealing to me but it is nice to have a second opinion on it so I might read it.

Unknown said...

I've had this book on my radar for a while, but never got around to it. thanks for the recommendation

Unknown said...

I am usually not a very big fan of historical fiction, but you made this book sound really interesting.

Anonymous said...

Etti,
This sounds like it would be a good read for those students in our class who read "The Lions of Little Rock." It has some similar themes. Thank you for writing an honest review, including that the ending is a bit lackluster.

-K

david244873 said...

I was trying to decide whether or not to read this, but your review convinced me. Thanks Etti.

Rix said...

That's been recommended a few times... Cool name, by the way, WASP. :)