Thursday, November 21, 2013

Raw Chicken: My Free Verse Poem

It comes very tightly sealed like it's unstable, which it probably is.
As soon as that packaging comes off, the danger is disregarded.
Gloved hands squeeze it, cut it and make it into something it's not.
Food,
Flavorful and appetizing, though some can't shake the memory of what it once was,
In fact, just a minute ago.
Or even worse, a week ago.
It had a pulse,
A circulatory,
respiratory,
musculoskeletal 
nervous
and excretory systems,
all painfully unaware of the garlic and butter in it's future
and just how slimy it's flesh really is. 

4 comments:

JP said...

Lol. Haha. Only you. It's really good and really funny.

Unknown said...

Great last two lines! Made me laugh out loud.

Anonymous said...

I like the fact that you mix science/anatomy with emotion and humor. It adds a nice twist to your poem, giving it a greater depth of meaning. Also, and this is something I've actually written a paper about so it is of particular interest to me, I love that you do not name what object/being you are talking about in the poem itself, referring to it simply as "it," yet we all know what you mean.

Unknown said...

Tha is kind of funny. And kind of gross. I can't decide which.
It's a good poem:)