Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Slice of Life #3

This is a Portuguese Man O' War jellyfish.

It took a while to sink in, the freedom. It was only two weeks, but on that first day I wasn't counting. I was excited to do nothing. I had the opportunity to do nothing as much as I wanted. As much or as little. I wasn't ready to argue with my parents. In my mind, no one was at that point, but no one knew it.  I was ready to disregard everything and recharge, to sleep past 6:45 and laugh when I woke up because a week ago I would have been four hours into the school day. I wanted to watch more t.v. than I had in the past month, and so I did, because I had priorities. My priorities were to wear pajamas the entire day and put school out of my mind.
Finally the day-counting started and I realized that I would not stay here for eternity because I have a life to live and decisions to make, and most importantly, loose ends to tie up. I had to start projects, finally ending up where I had been before, tangled in the loose ends until I tie them up for good.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think we should all have more time to have days like that! My mom though, has a different view on these things!

Anonymous said...

I particularly like the last paragraph where you have the list of what needs to be done. The structure really works well to get your point across.

MaxsClassReads said...

Agree with Kam. The last line is my favorite!

Lydia Donato said...

This is very true. The only goals on break for me were to sleep in, watch TV, and not wear clothes that were not pajamas.

Unknown said...

Your a really good writer and I can easily relate to your piece. I felt the same way.

Unknown said...

I think that this is a really cool piece, and the picture is amazing. I like the beggining and ending.

Linda B said...

Hi Etti-I too like "tangled in the loose ends until I tie them up for good." You've described our break well-that it yawns before us when we begin, but doesn't last as long as we imagine it will. Happy you had your pajama days!