Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

This week I read The Book Thief. It has been on my list for a while and it's been recommended to me by a ton of people. This book is about Liesel Meminger, a girl who was put into foster care for unspecified reasons after her brother dies. She spends a while with her new parents and learns about the realities of WWII and hides a Jew in her house. She also learns how to read and steals books.

I liked this book a lot. I know a fair amount about the Holocaust and have read a lot of Holocaust books because my Hebrew tutor assigns them, but this is one of the best. The perspective was very unique and I thought that the narration by death worked very well. It reminded me of The Boy In the Striped Pajamas, but I liked this book a lot better. It was very sad. The ending was not at all what I expected. My only complaint was that everyone had such dimensional personalities except for Liesel, the protagonist. I would recommend this to anyone, keeping in mind that it does have some heavy subject matter and is not a quick read.

No comments: