Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

I have been reading The Jungle. It was published in 1906 and it is about a Lithuanian immigrant, his wife and her family when they move to America and look for work. The story is set in the stockyards and industrial areas of Chicago and it follows their lives as they struggle to pay rent and feed their family.
I think that this is a classic because after it was published it brought awareness to the situation of families like this one and it set new standards for meat products. It made life better for a lot of people, so I think that it is a classic. So far it is a pretty good book. The language is really old fashioned to it is sometimes hard to read. It took me a while to get in to it, but once I did, it is a really interesting story. There are some intense and gory scenes as well as adult themes, so I would recommend this to anyone who is aware of that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a really interesting classic. It kind of sounds like another book called "between shades of grey."

collar bomes said...

This sounds like a really good book. I'm guessing its over 300 pages if its a two week book.