Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Edge of Nowhere by Elizabeth George

Before break I read The Edge of Nowhere. It is about a girl with this mind reading power who hears her stepfather's thoughts and learns that he committed a crime. Her mother drops her off on Whidbey Island to stay with a family friend who died before she got there. She has to find a place to stay and a way to blend in while hiding from her stepfather.
It was okay. The author wrote "can" as "c'n" which made the dialogue really irritating to read. The characters had interesting names which kind of hid the fact that none of them had any dimension. The setting was supposed to be really unique, and I have never heard of Whidbey Island, but it was meaningless because the setting consisted of lists of locations that only readers from the island would know. The plot was unique and so were the themes and ideas of the book. It was a fast read and it was very entertaining. I don't know if I will read the others in the series. I have no idea where the author could go with that. I would tentatively recommend this book to anyone in our class because hopefully you would like it better than I did.

No comments: