Sunday, March 16, 2014

Slice of Life 3/16

I spin the papers on the counter towards me, and see that they are two veterinary discharge forms dated Friday and Saturday. Two consecutive vet visits, only in my house. On Friday, when Zippi got back from hunting, we noticed a huge, deep patch on her leg where both a layer of skin and fur were missing. That was the first visit to the late-night vet. My parents know her well enough to know that she's one of their favorites at Alameda East.
On Saturday afternoon, I paused from tying my shoes to listen to my dad. He said that he smelled either a skunk or a fox in the backyard, and to be careful. We would both prefer a fox.
"What would you do if you saw one?"
"If it was a fox, I'd yell until it left. If it was a skunk, I'd back away slowly," I said. That's probably not official wildlife protocol, but this is our backyard. I don't think anyone cares.
"That sounds good. I'd like to shoot it," he responds.
"That's illegal."
"I know."
It's been a day and neither of us has smelled it again, which is good, considering my sixteen-year-old dog had a gastrointestinal virus that gave her a violent bout of diarrhea. She's okay, but that led to a little extra stress. I guess that's just what you have to expect living with three dogs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a 15 year old dog. When they are that old, it's best to become friends with your vet. I hope all turns out well.

Linda B said...

I hope your dogs are okay, Etti. The emergency vet is a good place. I've been there too. I liked how you wove the "other" issue that might affect the dogs, the skunk. Hope it was just a fox, and warmer weather lures it to other places.

Unknown said...

Hope your dogs are both doing well and the animal in the yard is a fox. Nice job of writing about the vet and the ways your family is so closely tied to that office.