Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Slice of Life 3/18: Looking for Alaska by John Green

This week I read Looking for Alaska because last week I read a book by the same author that I loved. This book is about a kid who really likes last words. He goes to a boarding school and meets a lot of weird people, including this girl named Alaska. The entire book is in terms of before and after an event, and it starts off several hundred days before and ends a while after.
I kind of liked this book. The writing style was good and the story moved along quickly and in an interesting way. The character could have been developed a little better, but they weren't completely generic. My main problem with this book, however, was that I missed the point. I can't elaborate much more without spoilers, but it all built up to this event, and the aftermath didn't make sense. I would recommend this book because I think that it is a matter of opinion. There is quite a bit of mature content, but I think that it is appropriate for everyone in our class as long as you keep that in mind.

3 comments:

Briahn Witkoff said...

A lot of people have read this book, and I have been pushed A LOT to read it and it sounds pretty good. I have definitely read books that fit your description of being good, but not making sense.

Lydia Donato said...

I loved this book ... or at least the first half and then it was boring.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this book because I love John Green's writing style. There were some weird things about the story, but in the end, I really liked it.