Monday, March 3, 2014

Slice of Life 3/4: Everybody Sees the Ants by A.S. King and Shooting the Moon by Frances O'Roark Dowell

I forgot to read a book in these past two weeks, so I read two this week. Everybody Sees the Ants is about a kid who has been bullied by this other kid since he was in second grade. His parents are having marriage problems, so his mom takes his to Arizona to visit his aunt and uncle. He also has these dreams where he tries to rescue his grandfather, who never came home from the Vietnam War.
I really liked it. The main character was a believable teenager, and the author did a good job of exposing problems that people our age face while not making them seem incredibly stupid like some young adult authors. I liked the writing style and the protagonist had a very distinct and sarcastic voice. It was very interesting to read. The characters were all well developed and the many plot lines that were introduced were all tied up at the end. I would recommend this book to most people in our class, but it does have some mature themes.

My second book was Shooting the Moon. It is about a girl who has grown up in an army family and she is excited when her older brother enlists and is sent to Vietnam. Instead of letters, he sends her film, which she has to learn to develop. The pictures are graphic and bloody, and she learns that the army might not be as great as she thought it was.
I did not like this book. I didn't think it would be that young because the main character was about thirteen, but the author made her a total idiot. She also had no personality and the plot was incredibly predictable. The only good thing about this book was that the font was so big that it took me about an hour to read. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I understand when you said that some young adult authors who try and write about teenage problems when they had gone thought them more than 20 years ago