Sunday, March 9, 2014

Slice of Life 3/9

She came home with my dad and brother, dirty and too tired to be her usual exuberant self. He said that she had done amazing, as always, but her the white feathering on the backs of her legs and stomach were caked in mud from the puddle that she used to cool off. Zippi is a Brittany, bred to point pheasants, chukar and quail. The hunting season is coming to an end, so my dad will take her a couple of times this month. She had goat-heads in her fur, and my parents used a comb meant for horses to untangle them. Finally it was my turn, because I'm willing to put on a swimsuit and get in the shower at nine at night. We have a shower just for the dogs, but it's small and open and very stressful for her, so we clean her in a human shower. I rubbed the dog shampoo through her fur, and my hand came out dirty. Little bits of debris and off-color suds were washed down the drain. Her tail was between her legs and her head was bowed, pressed against the door. Finally I scrubbed all the dirt from her white fur and rinsed her off. She shook the water off, then was assisted by the towel and was on her way.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great slice! It was easy to see the moment, especially the tired and dirty dog dealing with a shower and grooming it didn't love. "Her tail was between her legs and her head was bowed, pressed against the door." Awesome line!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your SOL